Thursday, October 30, 2008

Luke 1:39-56: Mary's Song of Response

It seems as though both Mary and Elizabeth were giddy as school girls at the news of all that God was doing. Elizabeth cried out with a loud voice as she, the Holy Spirit, and John were all moved at the arrival and greeting of Mary. Elizabeth went on in amazement to think that the Mother of the Messiah came to see her; then she encouraged Mary for her faith. Then Mary broke out in song.

Mary started right in with exalting the Lord – no wonder that God would choose Mary; she had a great understanding of who God is, and she took Him at His word. The next words out of her mouth declared her own humility in the sight of God and man (vs. 48). Her response is similar to John’s in John 3:30, “He must increase, but I must decrease.” She understood that God was great and she was privileged to have this role in His plan and History (vs. 48).

She then goes on to state how God had done great things for her personally and in the following verses declares how His goodness is perpetual through the generations. In verse 50 she gives a prerequisite for His mercy, “Toward those who fear Him.” Tom Wright states, “Almost every word is a biblical quotation such as Mary would have known from childhood” (15).

If any one of us were to win or inherit a million dollars, we would be so excited that we couldn’t wait to call our family and best friends. But, a million dollars doesn’t hold a candle to being blessed in the magnitude as Mary becoming the mother of Jesus. If we can ever be still long enough to consider what God has done in our lives: He invited us into His family as His children, He has gone to prepare a place for us, we are no longer slaves to sin, we have access to the throne of God at any time, and we will live with Him for eternity. . . We too should jump and shout for being so blessed by Mary’s God and Savior.

Andy Harkleroad

7 comments:

Andy Harkleroad said...

Test

Josh said...

Andy,
You spoke on how Mary had a great understanding of who God is. I completely agree as we are even able to see in this song, how much she said on "who God is." Just a couple of examples are:
- God is her Savior
- Listens to the humble
- He is mighty
- Name is Holy
- He is Merciful
- He is mighty in strength
- Has power over the prideful
- Is a provider for the hungry
- He lives forever
There are even more than this, but these are just a couple areas that Mary understood about her God. This definitely says a lot about Mary's faith in God. I don't believe God chose Mary because of her knowledge about God, but rather her faith in God.
Does our knowledge about God correspond to our faith in God?
><> Josh

Shannon Birdsall said...

Andy,
It really struck me dumb when I read how you included John in Mary and Elizabeth's greeting. I have always understood that even a child in the womb is alive and capable of many things as he/she grows inside their mother. But for some reason the idea just clicked in my head that John was there too. From the very beginning he was filled with the Holy Spirit for a purpose and he knew it even in the womb. How amazing would that be to know that the Son of God is in the womb "next door"?! It seems that as Elizabeth greeted Mary, John greeted Jesus. The next three months must have been interesting as the two women visited with each other. All of this makes me wonder about the younger years of John and Jesus. Did they see each other often since their mothers were close relatives? Even though I won't know for sure here on earth, it is neat to think about John and Jesus' bond at such an early point in their lives.
~Shannon~

Mark said...

Your comment that we would be thrilled if we won a million dollars, but even that does not hold a candle to being blessed in the magnitude as Mary becoming the mother of Jesus was very stirring. We have a tendency to relate such miracles as Mary was experiencing to our own life experiences. The only thing that would come even close to understanding her joy would be the moment of our salvation. Even that diminishes over time but I doubt her joy did.

Bryan said...

I feel a little bit convicted here. Lately I have focused on what has not been working out so well. And yet I feel and see the grace of God each and every day. I need to acknowledge it more. I need to thank the Lord more for the privilege of being called on of His child. How awesom it is to stop and realize that I am a child of the the Creator of the Universe. He set me apart. He has given me a purpose. He loves me no matter what I do. WOW!!
Thanks for this reminder Andy. God bless you brother.

Carol said...

Bless the Lord, O my soul and all that is within me,bless his holy name. Psalm 103 This Psalm always speaks to me. After being with a very sick child in the hospital this afternoon, I am thankful that I can trust God's sovereignty and unfailing love. It gives perspective to my life.

Andy Harkleroad said...

Test