Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Luke 1:5-15: The Surprise of Zechariah

When I read this, I kind of feel sorry for Zechariah. Let’s face it, whom of us wouldn’t have had a moment or two of doubt, of hesitation? Mary is going to get all the accolades soon enough in the Luke narrative, but I find myself having a much closer affinity with Zechariah than her. Now don’t misunderstand, I am not dissing Mary, she, as the text will soon inform us, is an incredible model of faith and trust in God. She is certainly a model we should seek to follow. But I also think we can learn some good things from Zechariah as well. His problem is that he has a “curve buster” in his class.

Wright points out in the reading that “Luke is careful not to dress up the story by making Zechariah a great hero of the faith” (Wright 7). What I love about Zechariah is, that like so many people we all know in the church, and like many of us, he seems to be a regular guy, who is faithfully ministering and praying. And he does so without flash or distinction, or expecting some special reward from God. He is going about his business of working behind the scene for God, never complaining, never calling in at the last minute to say he can’t teach today, just doing what he was asked to do.

And like us (me), when God finally does answer his prayer, he is more surprised, maybe even doubtful (vs. 18), than expectant, awed, or grateful.

In the end, as Wright concludes, this story is about God more than anything else, and what is remarkable and what we should all take great encouragement from it, is that God does His work through ordinary, unflashy people, and sometimes even doubtful people, like Zechariah, and us (me). I think we can all take comfort and hope in this truth.

Blessings
Bill H

5 comments:

Jeannie Vogel said...

I think Zacharias illustrates that even a man with a history of righteousness "who followed all the Lord's commandments and ordinances without fault"(1:6)can have lapses spiritually. He had moments of terror when he saw the angel and then doubted the words that came from God. But these did not stop God from blessing his life, answering his prayer, and giving him the priveledge of being father to one "Who will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God.(1:16)" We fail, God is faithful.

Michael B said...

You stated, "And like us (me), when God finally does answer his prayer, he is more surprised, maybe even doubtful (vs. 18), than expectant, awed, or grateful."

How true! I think many of us can compare our own spiritual lives with Zechariah. Think about Moses, Jeremiah, David, etc. These guys were all the most "unlikely" people chosen to do the greatest things for God. Some put up a fight, doubted, etc.

Is grace not amazing? Even in the midst of our doubts, fears, concerns, worry, etc. God still WILL use us to accomplish His purposes! That's why I love Proverbs 3:5-6. Man, how I wish I could REALLY live by these standards each and everyday. Let God be God and trust in Him rather than myself. If God came to me in person and asked me to do something for Him, I hope I would say, "Sure thing!"

Craig Fryburger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig Fryburger said...

I also identify with Zechariah. Too often I respond to a situation and then upon reflection realize that my actions or comments were not glorifying to God. Zechariah had ample time to think about his response to Gabriel’s message. Although doubt and a hesitancy to accept the truth characterize his initial reaction, the same cannot be said of his later behavior. When he is finally allowed to speak again, there is no doubt in his mind and no hesitation on his lips about praising God for His current blessings and the blessings to come. We can all learn a great deal from Zechariah’s example.

Janis said...

Amen,and Amen! We are ordinary people whom God has chosen to do extraodinary things through us. How often I find myself asking "How did this happen?" "How did I get here?" I am blessed beyond all measure and I am caught not acknowledging that it was God's doing.
He may have not been a hero of the faith, I think of those mentioned in Hebrew, but even they had their moments of disobedience. God uses the broken, the lowly and meek, all He asks is that we be open to the possiblity of being used by Him in simple obedience.