Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Luke 6:27-38 ~ The Golden Rule

This passage is one of the toughest pills to swallow in the Christian life; maybe because it exposes our self-righteousness.

As Christians it is a lot easier to have a list of do’s and don’ts. We tend to feel a lot better about ourselves as we check them off the list. But in these twelve verses He cuts to the heart. We are supposed to give to those that ask; not hit back if we are hit; be kind to those who are mean to us, and the list goes on – but the list goes against my nature.

Then in the next paragraph we are told not to judge others; we are told to pardon others. It seems consistent with James 2:13, “He will have judgment without mercy who has shown no mercy.” We often can become too eager to cite other’s faults, or broadcast them to everyone. I think because it makes us feel better about ourselves.

This passage is about the “Golden Rule.” The problem with the golden rule is that we focus on ourselves and not others. The thread that runs through these twelve verses is all about our heart: are we loving, kind, forgiving, and willing to be spent?

Andy Harkleroad

3 comments:

Jeannie Vogel said...

This list goes against my nature as well, Andy. At times I can control my outward actions, but its much harder to control my real heart motives in things like forgiveness,mercy and love for enemies. Good reminder of what God expects though.

Mark said...

I am not sure Dr. Higley will allow this as a legitimate post, but the only thing I have to say is "OUCH"!

Shannon Birdsall said...

It’s hard to be proactive in the things Christ tells us to do that will show we are different especially when we are focused on ourselves. The holidays are always a dangerous time for selfishness. While people will ask me “what do you want for Christmas”, it’s sometimes hard to remember that Christmas is not about me. Even if I can’t financially support someone, I need to be willing to give of my time, which is just as precious as money these days. Also, I need to remember that giving of my resources is not just a checklist like you mentioned, Andy. This “others-focused” mentality needs to be a lifestyle that I can seek to do everyday.

~Shannon