Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Luke 9:18-27 ~ Peter’s Declaration

“God’s Messiah,” declared Peter.

Peter had it right, He was the Messiah. He was the one that brought fear into the hearts of the demons. Alright, I doubt demons have hearts, but I think you get the point. They trembled at His very presence. He confused the Pharisees and other religious leaders because the Messiah would never spend time with sinners. He gripped the hearts of the people as he healed lives and brought hope to the crippled. Who did some think He was? John the Baptist? Elijah? An Old Testament Prophet?

Peter answered with conviction, “You are the Messiah!” He had it right and he was given clear instructions not to tell anyone. Don’t tell anyone? How could he keep it in? The Messiah had come. Don’t tell anyone! No one really was around to tell so not saying anything right then was not hard. Later he would be told by the Messiah that he would deny him. No I won’t! But he did deny the Messiah three times.

Are we like Peter at times? When no one is around we want to shout the greatness of our Savior and when people are close by we lose the ability to speak. We are not bound by the “do not tell rule” the disciples had at that moment, so as we approach Christmas, how about telling people about the Messiah. He is the Messiah!

Mark

2 comments:

Jeannie Vogel said...

Mark, It seems we have a self imposed gag rule. I recently read that when the Soviets were repressing Christianity, they did not mind if Christians practiced their faith, they just were not allowed to tell others about Christ or they were persecuted. I wonder - if America adopted that policy, how long would it be before any of us got in trouble.

Janis said...

It is neat though the times we are able to speak and we know that absolutely those words came from God and His strength. I am a pretty quiet person and I know that when I have said something about God to an unsaved person it is not me, it's Gods words through me!