Thursday, December 4, 2008

Luke 11:42-54 ~ Woes Against the Pharisees

“They interrogated him about several things, lying in wait for him to catch him in something he might say.” (Luke 11:53-54)

The outside world is watching us and waiting. We cannot be naïve to think that when we claim to be followers of Christ, people won’t be watching our every move. The reality is that those who trust in themselves for salvation and refuse to submit to Christ and His grace do not look well upon those who claim to live under grace or are “born-again.”

What does the “lost” world see when they look at your life? As they are, “lying in wait to catch” you in hypocrisy, sin, etc. what do you think they will see? The most important and influential people in your life will most likely always be the ones who are genuine and authentic in their lifestyle. When I think of my own salvation experience, I was led to Christ by someone who was living for Christ not just talking about Him. That made the difference for me!

The outside world longs for hope, whether they realize it or not. The great thing about Christ is that He makes the lost feel uncomfortable. Grace, in itself, is pretty unnatural as it relates to our own selfish and sinful nature. Therefore when people look at authentic, born-again Christians they should have some sense of unease as Christ’s light shines through. This is the power of God working in the life of that person. The conviction, questions, and rebellion can all be used as triggers for God’s divine intervention and saving power. It was in my life and probably was in yours as well.

Michael

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Michael,
I love what you said here "The great thing about Christ is that He makes the lost feel uncomfortable." You would think by His ministry and the way people came to hear Him that He made people feel comfortable. I think that His genuine love for people did make them feel comfortable but it was His boldness and His message that made people feel uncomfortable. He spoke in love the absolute truth without apology. The Pharisees weren't use to seeing someone stand up to them and challenge them. The crowds saw this though. They saw a man who was not afraid.
I think that sometimes I need to make people feel comfortable around me in order to share with them the message of Christ. What i really need to do is consistently show them the love of Christ and speak the truth as often as possible.

Jeannie Vogel said...

Michael,
Even though we are not high profile people like Sarah Palin, you are correct in saying, "We cannot be naïve to think that when we claim to be followers of Christ, people won’t be watching our every move." Even the worst atheist or agnostic holds a Christian to a high moral standard because they know that to be a Christian is to claim to be a Christ follower. If my life does not authentically reflect Jesus to those around me, it is either because I have never been truely transformed by Jesus or I have quenched the Holy Spirit's work in my life. We should never complain about those watching because they Mt. 5:16 says, Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."

Josh said...

Thanks so much for your post. Why is it that we often think that we can live our lives without it affecting anyone else? Thanks for the reminder that we are being watched all the time. Many people are watching us to hopefully catch us doing the opposite as we are saying. They are definitely quick to point it out as well.

If they were trying to catch Christ, why shouldn't they try to catch us as well.

Its a good reminder to live our lives as genuine as possible no matter where we are or who is around.

><> Josh

Carol said...

Dear Michael, I appreciate your thought provoking comments. I know when people look at me that they see a sinner-by the grace of God hopefully they see that I am redeemed.I pray that I will have the grace and courage to ask forgiveness of those watching and make any I have wronged right that they might see the reconciliation and integrity that only comes from God.