Thursday, December 18, 2008

Luke 19:11-27 ~ Preparation

Santa Claus is coming to town! And how do you suppose eager children respond? They prepare! They make their Christmas lists, start acting nice, they may even bake some cookies and leave out a glass of milk for when Santa comes down the chimney!

April 15th...ring any bells? Tax day! And how do we adults respond? We prepare right? We start saving our money for the taxes we owe. We pull out our neat, organized financial records and get started on the process as soon as possible. We always intend to meet the deadline right? Wrong! Many adults file for extensions, borrow money to pay what's owed from last year and finagle their way out of little fees here and there. Financial records?!?! You mean my tax stubs?

So what will we do as we contemplate the return of our King? In this parable Jesus is showing what will happen when the King returns. He will find those who believed in his judgment and made the necessary amends and there will be those who live in fear and denial and procrastinate in doing what is expected. Jesus is teaching here that those who can be trusted will be given more, this will be an honor and an opportunity. Those who have been lazy and irresponsible will have anything they have taken from them, judgment will come and they will pay the consequences.

Jesus is coming back, did you know that? How will you prepare?

Mandy

3 comments:

Shannon Birdsall said...

I love how you compared Christmas, taxes, and Christ's return so artistically yet it all makes sense. It's also a great reminder as I prepare for this life, I also need to be preparing for Christ's return. Now I'll never think of Christmas & Taxes the same way. :o)

~Shannon~

Samantha said...

I hear a lot of people telling kids to behave because "Santa is watching" and I am guilty of saying it to the kid I work with when I was at my wits end. But, I really should be saying "God is watching."

Jeannie Vogel said...

Thanks for reminding us that even though Christ does not return on a certain date each year like taxes or Christmas,that does not mean he won't return or that we don't need to prepare. Excellent analogy.