Friday, December 5, 2008

Luke 12:13-34 Money = To Live and To Give!

When someone yells out, “Watch Out”, most of us will pay attention to the warning as we probably expect something to be flying at our heads. Jesus is the one giving the warning of “Watch Out”. We should be listening to what Christ is saying.

“Beware of all greed! Your life is not defined by the number of things you possess.”

This makes me ask why God gives us possessions in the first place if it is so easy to become consumed with these monetary things. As far as I can tell, we are continued to be blessed with money and possessions in order to live and to give.

I believe a lot of people are realizing that these possessions are not where their security should lie. I talked with one man who lost close to 175,000 in the stock market crash. Many people can relate as they have lost a lot of money where they thought it was relatively secure. So, what would have happened if those people would have invested that money into eternal investments? At this point, they would be trusting in God either way, but the second option would have had a much greater return rate and impact.

Let me get personal…why do you want to be paid? Is it to meet your needs or your wants? Do you live to give or do you live to get? When you leave this earth, will God be calling you a fool because you hoarded your money…or will He be pleased with your contributions to further His kingdom?

As Christmas is coming up, a Christmas Carol will probably be playing. Don’t be a selfish Scrooge, but rather use the blessings God has given you to bless others.

Josh

3 comments:

Shannon Birdsall said...

Thanks for the reminder Josh. Lately I've forgotten what a joy it is to invest in the lives of others financially and in other ways too. As I get more grounded here with my new job, I look forward to getting more involved with a church again. I love serving in the church, especially through Awana or in a teen ministry. I've had some awesome experiences in the past & look forward to being involved again in the future.

People have blessed me continually throughout my life and I look forward to blessing others very soon.

~Shannon~

Lydia said...

Thanks for the reminder that Not only Christmas season be awareness of Christ but through out the year, we ought to examine our hearts and motives so that when Christ return, He will say to us, "My good and faithful servant."

Andy Harkleroad said...

Josh,

Well done. I liked the question, "Why do you want to be paid?" It reminds me to live a simple life. I Thess. 5 says, "Let it be your ambition to lead a quiet life." Sometimes we make our lives noisy by our pursuit of stuff.

Andy