Monday, December 8, 2008

Luke 13:10-21 ~ Animal Lovers

We all have known someone who has lavished their love upon their pet(s) as though it were a human. Even in extreme cases, rich people have willed everything to that special canine friend instead of a selfish spoiled child or relative. What causes us to care for animals so much? In Genesis chapters one and two, God gives man the responsibility to take care of all the earth including the animals. How much more do we care about our animals or possessions more than we care about connecting with and loving the people around us?

In Luke 13:10-21, Jesus rebukes the leaders of the synagogue for caring more for their animals on the Sabbath than for a woman who had been sick for 18 years. She couldn’t even stand up straight! Yet Jesus came along side her, touches her, and makes her whole again. The crowd grew excited and cheered about Jesus’ momentary win over the rulers. But the synagogue leaders were put to shame because of their supposedly “justified” reason for why they shunned this woman: “Let her come the other six days of the week.” How would that work with hospitals today? Can you imagine if you got sick on the “wrong day” and the hospital rejected you because you had the other six days of the week to come? Sounds absurd doesn’t it?

This is just a small reminder for me to remember that God has put people into my life for a reason. Loving them and caring for them is such a simple thing. As much as I love animals and the smile they bring to my face when I’m sad, I can recall numerous times when my family and friends cheered me up and cared for me. How can I not show love to others when God has blessed me with so many kind people in my life?

~Shannon~

5 comments:

Andy Harkleroad said...

Shannon,
We live in interesting times: We live in a country that will put you in jail for five years if you hurt an animal; but we are the same country that promotes abortion of human beings. I wonder what Jesus would have said to this generation if He would have walked this earth in the 21st century. His message would be the same, but His illustrations might have been different.
Andy

Josh said...

Shannon,
Thanks for the reminder. It is amazing the kind of excuses that we can make for not reaching out to others. I had a friend that would take his dogs through the drive-thru at MacDonalds every day and get them something to eat. They were his "babies." Yet, we say that we don't have the money to help someone who is hungry.

I know the animals are just one example of our "double standards". We have to start paying attention to what we are saying and doing and see if they really match up!

><> Josh

Janis said...

I put this in another discussion but it fits here too, When our relationship with God is skewed our relationship with possessions are going to be skewed too. When one does is out of step in his relationship with God, sadly he is going to look at his possessions, be it a pet, a car or some other material possession as his "baby". But when one does have a right relationship to God, he is going to have, hopefully, his priorities straight.

Andy Harkleroad said...

Bill,

Is that a picture of your dog on the blog?

Andy

Shannon Birdsall said...

Yep, that's one of Mr. Higley's dogs. I totally forgot that he has Boston Terriers. Oh, how I miss the one our family used to have. Thankfully I lived in Thomson will I attended BBC for 2 years. During softball season, Mr. Higley would wrap their leashes around the railing outside of our dorm. Talk about a great study break! :o)

~Shannon~