Saturday, December 6, 2008

Luke 13:1-9 ~ My Perfect Brother

I remember as a kid I had an older brother who was pretty much perfect. Everything he did was perfect. If anything was missing broken or dirty; I did it, or at least I got the blame. That is until one time I heard him swear! I thought this was it; he wasn’t perfect I could get him into trouble. I ran to my mom to promptly tell her of my brother’s fault. I just knew she was going to see that he wasn’t perfect and he was really going to get it!

Although in telling her that he had said a bad word I actually said the bad word too. Big mistake, I was in more trouble than he was because not only had I said the word, I was labeled as a tattletale. I was so confused and hurt.

I wonder if this is how the crowds felt after Jesus warned than that they faced the same fate if they didn’t repent. We are sometimes too quick to point to others faults yet can be condemned for the same transgression. We need to stop looking at others so critically and start looking in the mirror.

Dave

1 comment:

Janis said...

"stop looking at others so critically and start looking in the mirror". I remember thinking about why did the children of Israel not get it, why didn't Jesus' disciples get it, why didn't the Pharisees get it, these people were right next to God or Jesus, himself and they often complained, compared and fought among themselves and then it was pointed out to me that do I always get it and I have God's Word and the Holy Spirit. We are no different sad to say.